Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 3 - Healthy Eating

Monday - a new day and I was determined to serve enough fruits and veggies that everyone would meet the healthy eating requirements. With breakfast I served dried cranberries to my girls and 16 grapes to my son. (remember that is only 1/2 a serving of fruit!) Lunch they ate a Mother's Day Out, so I really had no control over what they ate. By lunch no one had had more than a 1/2 serving of either fruits or veggies, so I was going to have to really make up for it at dinner if we were going to meet our goal...

Dinner was the piece de la resistance: I never serve baked potatoes because 2 of my 4 hate potatoes, but in the interest of being healthy, staying out of the emergency room at odd hours of the night, and in not being labelled a neglectful mother who does not feed her children properly, I was going to lay the law down. We were having a baked potato bar! To pile on the nutrients I would add steamed broccoli and cauliflower to top the potatoes (I also left some broccoli and cauliflower raw to appease my more finicky eaters). I accented the meal with a homemade, home cut cabbage salad, mixed with carrot sticks, broccoli stem slaw, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries. (In an act of generosity I also put some cole slaw aside before adding the dressing).

The potatoes were a hit for my nonpicky, nonconstipated eaters, by my two stomach achers were less than thrilled. Although I KNOW that a lot of nutrition got into my little jewels, my son had still not eaten enought F&V to meet our goal.

... another day, another meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment